[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

on the meaning of 'word sense'

   The distinction I usually make is that I expect true
   ambiguity resolution to find the distinctions between senses
   as detailed in a specific published dictionary. However, in
   applications that matter  (i.e. commercial information storage and
   retrieval systems fielding keyword queries) that degree of fineness
   is too much to ask for--

furthermore, there is a problem with this definition, because people
can't perform this disambiguation task with any reliability or even
repeatability.

to anyone from a science in which empirical evidence is considered to
be the the basis for theory confirmation, it is hard to take this sort
of definition of sense distinction very seriously.

   I've undoubtedly said enough here to incite a riot, so I'll
   stop...

having contributed to this worthy goal, i should probably stop, too.